Lycopene Promotes Immune System2015-12-09
Lycopene protects phagocytes from oxidative damage, promote T-lymphocyte and B-lymphocyte proliferation and secretion of immunoreactive cytokines, enhance the functioning of phagocyte, T-lymphocyte and Natural Killer (NK) cells, reduce lymphocyte DNA oxidative damage. To summarized, lycopene promotes human immune system. The effect of lycopene in this area was revealed later compare to other effects and has become current popular research topic.
The general conclusion of recent studies of lycopene is that lycopene is able to promote secretion of Interleukin-2 (IL-2) and Interleukin 4 (IL-4) and modulate immune function, particularly in the elderly, while carrot and spinach lack of such effect.
- ★ Watzl B, et al. Modulation of human T-lymphocyte functions by the consumption of carotenoid-rich vegetables. British J Nut 1999; 82: 383–389. (http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=%2FBJN%2FBJN82_05%2FS0007114599001634a.pdf&code=cf14a71f880384cd5d1724b76fbc7feb )
- ★ Hughes DA. Effects of carotenoids on human immune function. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 1999; 58: 713-718. (http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=800112 )
- ★ Porrini1 M & Riso P. Lymphocyte Lycopene Concentration and DNA Protection from Oxidative Damage Is Increased in Women after a Short Period of Tomato Consumption. J. Nutr. 2000; 130:189–192. (http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/130/2/189 ) .
- ★ Nahum A, et al. Lycopene inhibition of cell cycle progression in breast and endometrial cancer cells is associated with reduction in cyclin D levels and retention of p27Kip1 in the cyclin E-cdk2 complexes. Oncogene 2001; 20: 3428-3436. (http://www.nature.com/onc/journal/v20/n26/pdf/1204452a.pdf )
- ★ Watzl B，et a1．Supplementation of a low-carotenoid diet with tomato or carrot juice modulates immune functions in healthy men．Ann Nutr Metab，2003，47(6)：255-261． (http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=ShowAbstract&ArtikelNr=72397&Ausgabe=229462&ProduktNr=223977 )
- ★ Briviba K, et al. Effects of supplementing a low-carotenoid diet with a tomato extract for 2 weeks on endogenous levels of DNA single strand breaks and immune functions in healthy non-smokers and smokers. Carcinogenesis 2004; 25: 2373-2378. (http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/25/12/2373 )
- ★ Chew BP & Park JS. Carotenoid Action on the Immune Response. J. Nutr. 2004; 134:257S-261S. (http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/134/1/257S )
- ★ Waltz B, et al. A 4-wk intervention with high intake of carotenoid-rich vegetables and fruit reduces plasma C-reactive protein in healthy, nonsmoking men. Am J Clin Nutr 2005; 82:1052-1058. (http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/82/5/1052 )
- ★ Hozawa A, et al. Relationships of circulating carotenoid concentrations with several markers of inflammation, oxidative stress, and endothelial dysfunction: The coronary artery risk development in young adults (CARDIA)/young adult longitudinal trends in antioxidants (YALTA) study. Clinical Chem 2007;53: 447-455. (http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/reprint/53/3/447 )