Effect of Resveratrol in Inflammatory Arthristis2010-02-12
Rheumatoid arthritis, which mainly happens in knee joints, has an incidence rate as high as 85%. This number means that almost everyone will be afflicted by joint pain in lifetime. Unfortunately, over past decades, research on rheumatoid arthritis treatment and prevention has been slow. However, it was demonstrated that arthritis is related to increased concentration of certain cytokines (e.g. TNF-α，LT-α et al.) in the joint tissue.
- ★ Usha R, et al. Resveratrol, a polyphenolic compound found in wine, inhibits tissue factor expression in vascular cells. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 1999; 19: 419-426 (http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/reprint/19/2/419)
- ★ Porath D, et al. Effects of resveratrol, piceatannol, tri-acetoxystilbene, and genistein on the inflammatory response of human peripheral blood leukocytes. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2005; 49: 431-42. (http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/110431567/abstract)
- ★ Elmali N, et al. Effects of Resveratrol in Inflammatory Arthritis. Inflammation 2007; 30: 1-6. (http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/19/2/419)
- ★ Bertelli AA, et al. Resveratrol inhibits TNF alpha-induced endothelial cell activation. Therapie. 2001; 56: 613-616. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11806302)
- ★ Kowalski J, et al. Effect of apigenin, kaempferol and resveratrol on the expression of interleukin-1βand tumor necrosis factor-α genes in J774.2 macrophages. Pharmcolog reports 2005; 57: 390-394. (http://www.if-pan.krakow.pl/pjp/pdf/2005/3_390.pdf)
- ★ Moon SK., et al. Resveratrol Suppresses Tumor Necrosis Factor-a-Induced Fractalkine Expression in Endothelial Cells. Mol Pharmacol 2006; 70:112–119. (http://molpharm.aspetjournals.org/cgi/reprint/70/1/112)
Long-term administration of resveratrol is able to recover the damaged joints completely. This experiment is contributed by the function of resveratrol on inhibiting abnormal hyperplasia of synovial cells, and inducing the reparative ability of chondrocytes.
- ★ Doissy P, et al. Resveratrol inhibits myeloma cell growth, prevents osteoclast formation, and promotes osteoblast differentiation. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 9943-9952. (http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/reprint/65/21/9943)
- ★ Elmali N, et al. Effect of resveratrol in experimental osteoarthritis in rabbits. Inflammation Res. 2005; 54: 158-162. (http://www.springerlink.com/content/m4v1600625172522/)
- ★ Tang LL, et al. Inhibitory effect of resveratrol on the proliferation of synoviocytes in rheumatoid arthritis and its mechanism in vitro. J Cent South Univ（Med Sci）2006；31：528-533. （http://xbyx.xysm.net/qikan/manage/wenzhang/200608528.pdf）